Another year, another iPhone. (Did I say that last year?) This is the iPhone’s last year of tweendom before it hits teenhood: Apple announced its four-modelline on Tuesday, the first since 2017’s , which introduced face unlocking and better screen technology. This year they sport an array of colors, more models and wireless support across the lineup. In addition to the smart speaker, we were treated to the for the iPhone and a stealth release of the .
Here’s, on different days and at different prices.
Apple’s late to the 5G party (if you can call it “late” when the party’s just started), and incorporating the new wireless tech poses, but it could still be . And experts are already worrying about the , given that Apple already ranks pretty low on that score.
Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg came out to talk aboutand its expansion plans, including turning on its nationwide 5G network. The iPhone 12 has a custom antenna design and, according to Apple, a boatload of testing. All models support mmWave 5G, at least in the US.
Apple updated its wireless charging with, a new charging coil design with a magnet that allows any compatible accessory — such as cases and other docks — to snap onto the back.
Thinner, smaller and lighter, the iPhone 12 incorporates the new OLED Super Retina XDR display, boasting 460 ppi pixel density and Dolby Vision HDR support. It has a new Ceramic Shield protection layer on the screen as well. It uses the A14 Bionic, the same chip that’s in the new iPad Air with improved AI processing. It’s got a new camera, of course, a dual setup with an f2.4 ultrawide camera and f1.6 wide, Night Mode available on all cameras and night time lapse. It starts at $799 in the US, £799 in the UK and AU$1,349 in Australia.
- iPhone 12 and 12 Pro: Apple makes 5G official
- League of Legends: Wild Rift coming to iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 won’t include earbuds or power adapter
- iPhone 12 camera gets new computational photography brains
- iPhone 12’s display is protected by ‘ceramic shield’ glass
- No, the iPhone 12 doesn’t have a 120Hz display
- iPhone 12 specs vs. iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12: When, where and how to preorder Apple’s four new phones
- Both the 6.1-inch Pro and 6.7-inch Pro Max get premium materials and three cameras, as well as lidar for depth mapping, AR and low-light autofocus. The Pro Max has a new sensor on its third telephoto camera with sensor shift image stabilization, which is popular in regular cameras. It also has a new format, Apple ProRaw, which synthesizes computational photography and applies processing as parameters, so you can change adjustments like sharpness after the fact. For video, it can record 10-bit Dolby Vision HDR. The Pro starts at $999 (£999, AU$1,699), with the Pro Max at $1,099 (£1,099, AU$1,849).
- iPhone 12 and 12 Pro make 5G official for new flagships
- Apple’s iPhone 12 Pro camera technology is designed for serious photographers
Read more: https://www.cnet.com/news/everything-apple-announced-iphone-12-5g-mini-pro-max-homepod-magsafe-event/